Monday, December 14, 2009

Separation Anxiety?

About 3 weeks ago I got a new puppy, a pit bull. I named him Diesel. He is the SWEETEST thing. But ever since he came home he has been attached to my leg, literally! If I walk into the bedroom and stop walking, he will run into the back of my leg. It's THAT BAD!!

I put him in my office one day last week and put up a baby gate so that I could run to town and do some shopping. As soon as the gate went up and I was out of sight he started crying and gnawing on the gate and just sounded like he was about to DIE! I could hear him OUTSIDE the house hollering. I felt bad for leaving him but I had to get some things done. I thought this would all get better the longer he was with us, but it hasn't seemed to get any better. Now, if I am not around, he will go to our dirty clothes basket and drag out a shirt of mine or a pair of pajama pants and drag them to the living room, pull it up on the couch with him and sleep with it! He doesn't ever get Drew's clothes, just mine!

Tonight when I left for work, I forgot to tell him bye. I was in a hurry and just walked out the door. I hadn't gotten a mile down the road when Drew called and told me that Diesel was running around the house like crazy looking for me and had dragged my shoe onto the couch and was laying on it. He said "You forgot to tell him bye and he is upset." :( Yep, I did forget. So Drew put his phone on speakerphone and I told Diesel bye. After that, he calmed down!!

Is this normal?? Do dogs have separation anxiety? I am wondering if this is going to be permanent. I hope not, because I DO have to go places and do things from time to time. I can't have a clingy dog. HA! Have you ever heard of separation anxiety in dogs? If so, let me know! And if you know how I can discourage this behavior, let me know that too. I really don't know what I am going to do with him. *sigh*

No comments: